View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 12:32 AM

Default I also collect TYPE 2-3-4 Photos. Here are some examples...

Over the last several months, there has been a lot of talk about the poor step-brother of TYPE 1 photos... the TYPE 2, 3, and 4 photos.

Most of us think (me included) that there is a huge difference between a "vintage" TYPE 2 and a modern example. The modern TYPE 2 is much more plentiful and the prices realized at auction are really starting to show the difference between the two.

Many of you have stated that the window that PSA gives of 2 years for TYPE 1 photos is just too short. I happen to completely agree. I proposed in a earlier thread that maybe the window should be something like 10 years for photos taken between 1900-1920. 5 years between 1921-1945. And 3 years from 1946-1970.

I think that those would be reasonable boundaries for the hobby.

Regardless, it seems to me that many collectors are gun-shy of buying most any TYPE 2, 3, 4 photos. However, while there is no question that TYPE 1 photography drives the hobby, I have found a niche part of the photo market that I just can't get enough of!

Sequential & Composite images are absolutely some of my favorite photos to collect. I just love the action and/or importance of the event they capture. I also think that this is a terrific way to get more bang for your buck!

Does anyone else collect these TYPE of photos? If you have 'em, show 'em.

This vintage 1919 composite is a TYPE 4 photo. Note the slug, as this is the first Home Run Record that the Bambino ever broke/set!
1919babeHRking.jpg1919babeHRkingSLUG.jpg

Although this play didn't change the outcome of the game, there is no question it helped change the outcome of the series. TYPE 3
1955jackiestealshome.jpg1955jackiestealshomeVERSO.jpg

The late great Jim Murray once wrote that "Willie Mays' glove, is where triples go to die" TYPE 3
1954WillieMaysCatch.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 12-17-2010 at 05:31 AM.