View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Brad Green

Default Blank-Backed 1934 Goudey card?

I picked up a blank-backed 1934 Goudey Grove card recently -- mainly because of the novelty of it. The seller claimed that the card was half the thickness of a normal 1934 Goudey. I compared the thickness of this card to the thickness of a normal 1934 Goudey card and didn't see a significant difference. I almost think that the two cards are the same thickness. I do not know exactly how 1934 Goudey cards were created, but I assume that it was one piece of cardboard with printing on the front and back. I do not believe that two pieces of cardboard were glued together to make the front and back. If that were the case, then I could see someone pulling off the back part of the card. In that case, though, the thickness of the card would be reduced.

Either way, please see scans below of this blank-backed card and a normal 1934 Goudey card. Any ideas? Could this blank-backed card have been purposely produced without print on the back? I see some discoloration in the top right of the back, but I'm not sure what to make of that. Is it possible that this card once had printing on the back, then was glued to a book/album, then later removed with the complete loss of the printing on the back? Do any of you have any blank-backed 1934 Goudey cards?