View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Mike Dugan

Fellows the Segar National League book is just one of the great surprises in the auction. I think we need to compliment the auction house for their presentation of the books.

I actually say this with a strong twinge of regret. I have really enjoyed collecting baseball books for years and what great fun it is to find an older title with jacket under $20 and usually under $10. I am afraid this may signal a trend upward in prices. Great for the booksellers out there but no fun for us buyers.

Saying this, I have never had any qualms about paying $$$ for the tougher titles pre-50 or a nice Putnam Orioles etc... But I will hesitate to pay $$$ for many of the 50s & 60s titles such as in the two bigger lots.

I may have to turn to my other area of interest, baseball films. I picked up 9 new DVDs in our deal this week. I am now at just over 700 films. I am working on a project to issue a guide with a photo of the vhs/DVD and a synopsis. I hope to have it ready by Summer. During a SABR event Rich K. saw a smalll portion of my books but did see much of my film library. You will probably understand, during most days much of both are in stacks on the floor but if my wife knows guests will be around I have to hide much of it in closets and the storage room!

Leon, my friend Jay and I chose Mt. Pleasent as a nice halfway point between Ft. Worth and Hot Springs. Another friend joined us there for a wonderful 4 hours. We should have gone the 16 miles up the road to Mt. Vernon to pay our respects to the memory of Dandy Don Meredith. The third member of our party used to live in the same Dallas apartment complex as Dandy Don so he had some wonderful stories to tell. The Mt. Pleasent/Mt. Vernon area is really nice and has turned out some great athletes over the years.