View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM

I think one of the biggest problems with the new system is that people immediately think a Type 2 or a Type 4 are worthless when that is NOT the case. 2 Examples where a Type 2 and a Type 4, both of which are worth WAY less than Type 1 photos but both completely vintage originals that are casualties of the new system:

Exmple #1. 1924 dated Babe Ruth photo with paper caption on the back from Spring Trianing 1924. Original photo was shot during the season of 1920 so we are talking about a 3 year difference, came back as TYPE 2. While this rediculous to begin with, it certainly illustrates the point that just because something is deemed a type 2 it is still VERY valuable. Type 1 is worth probably $5000, I sold my Type 2 (by 1 year) for about $500

The other example is of a Honus Wagner GG Bain photo I have. It is an original c. 1915 Bain photo of Wagner but since Bain cropped the original from 1909 and then reissued it in 1915, we are looking at a type 4 photo. You would think to yourself based on the rediculous grading scale that PSA uses that this would then be worthless as a type 4 photo, but it is an ORIGINAL 1915 Bain Photo of Honus Wagner no matter how you slice it.

These examples are why I think there should be a more liberal window (not restricted to 2 years) and photos should be labeled as either "Vintage Original" or "Non Vintage" meaning made at a later date and the type 1-4 system simply does not work.

Just my opinion.