View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Jay Shelton

What a great man and great pitcher! I grew up liking Mr. Feller through my dad, as my dad grew up in the 1940s and Bob was his favorite pitcher and player, and Cleveland was his favorite team, as it was the closest AL team to Texas (my dad did not count the Browns, evidently

We finally got a chance to meet Bob and his wife in person at an Equitable Old Timers game in Arlington back in the mid-1980s. What a wonderful experience to be with my dad as he met his "idol" from childhood. They spoke a long time, especially about the Navy, as my dad served in Korea.

This past July, while on a family driving vacation up north for the first time, we stopped off at the Bob Feller museum in Van Meter. What an experience! Two hours flew by looking over the exhibits and speaking with the nice older lady who runs the museum. I was able to purchase a signed museum Louisville Slugger Bat, signed ball, signed copy of Bob Feller's Black Book, and a seat slat from Cleveland's Municipal Stadium signed by the remaining four members of the 1948 championship team.

I would highly recommend to anyone on the forum to stop by the museum if they get a chance and purchase a copy of his Black Book, as Mr. Feller offers great insight to baseball and to life.