View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
David - what's really nice about the Bal-Mtl photo is the scoreboard. It looks like it would be sharp and clear in hi-res. There is probably enough info there in theory to determine the date of the game. You would need to find box scores via online newspapers that match the line scores on that scoreboard. Of course it's much easier to do that for a major league game. If you can figure out the date, the corresponding newspaper article might mention that play.
Mark: I cranked up the scanner to 1200 dpi in order to get a better look at the scoreboard. You can see the partial scores of the day's games although it's difficult to distinguish zeroes from other rounded numbers like 3, 8 etc. Seller only indicated circa 1905 so I can't even be sure of the year. Assuming that the Baltimore player is the pitcher, the Orioles only had three lefties from 1903-1907, one being Fred Burchell who may or not may be this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
BTW - we were born in the same year in the same place. The big difference is I am still here.
I was born in Chicago in 1950. You too? We left in '51 and thereafter have lived in five states and three provinces of Canada. I might as well have been born in the back of a Greyhound.