View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:25 AM
David McDonald

I'm still waiting for a few big ticket items from the auction houses to get here but, in the meantime, here are some of the cards I have landed in the past couple of months.

Picked up the "Sweet Caporal" postcard from good ol' Dan Yaw on eBay. It depicts a game between Baltimore and Montreal circa 1905. Love this card. It's a clear window unto a baseball moment a century ago. What's not clear is who made the play to first. It's hard to see but the Baltimore player on the left is wearing a glove on his right hand; if he's the pitcher he seems out of place with respect to the position of the first baseman. Might have been a bunt or a grounder right to the bag. Maybe one of you field generals can explain it to me.

Holy Toledo! That baserunner is going to be out by a mile. The catcher is Fred Abbott. Anybody got his T206? Shortstop could be one of a couple of guys but second baseman would likely be Harry Hinchman, another T206er. That field looks like you could shoot pool on it. A beautiful day for baseball in 1909. EBay seller was judwilson; he has some terrific postcards and is a straight-up guy.

The "Champions" are from St Louis College which is actually a high school (and sports powerhouse) in Honolulu near where I live. These youngsters look just like the kids that I see today when I drive past the campus. Some of them even look like they're wearing Dockers. Those little Hawaiian urchins off to the side make this card a winner.

One more Red Belt for the cause. Just need three more for a basic set.

Big Thanks to our Paul G. for making a handful of PC796s available to me and for the quick and flawless BST transaction. Just need four more to round out the set although they're all tough HOFers.

Big Thanks also to our Frank W., the kama'aina from Kentucky, for sending some of his Series 6 bad boys back to his ancestral Oahu home.

And . . . a couple of Dormand Yankees including the difficult Mr. Howard to round out the show'n'tell. If anyone has a Skowron they would consider parting with please remember who loves ya.

Afterword: I compiled this post while thinking of the exuberant comments Bill Hedin made the other day about our Hobby. In spite of all the BS and negativity, at the end of the day it's the shared passion for America and baseball and cards that makes it such a great pastime. Thanks for reminding us and hope you enjoyed these cards, Bill.