View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Dave

I don't see the prices as out of line compared to other items we have seen sell in the past.

Especially considering the provenance.

I'm still not quite sure how they can pin down Babe Ruth hit #so & so HR with this exact bat.

For anybody lucky enough to witness this moment as it happened, whether on TV or at the Park............I've never seen a more dramatic baseball moment in my life. Maybe there have been more important HR's, but this was one of those chills up your spines, you'll never forget pieces of drama.

Eckersley on the mound and up a run, gets the first 2 guys out. The former Athletic, Mike Davis, who turned out to be a bust with the Dodgers, works a walk. Davis doesn't normally take walks, and Eckersley doesn't walk guys. If that doesn't happen, Gibson never gets a chance to come to the plate. Gibson limping out of the dugout, obviously in lots of pain. Eckersley goes 0-2 to Gibson and in the process he lines a shot just to the right of the right field foul pole. That's it we figure, that was Gibson's one shot, because Eckersley doesn't give up HR's either. Gibson works the count to 3-2.

Eckersley hangs a pitch just a little too high and Gibson doesn't miss it this time. With one of the most awkward looking HR swings I have ever seen, Gibson pivots his bad knee directly in front of Home plate and connects with the sweet spot of his bat.

I don't think anybody watching it could actually believe what they just saw.