View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Great that the charity is getting a sizeable donation. AWFUL for the hobby as every goof out there now will think that their stuff is worth a fortune. Those prices are absolutely ridiculous and actually hurts the majority of the hobby (collectors and dealers alike). We are all not million/billionaires and can afford to pay astronomical prices for everything we like. Sure it's an iconic game, but it only ended game 1. Is the Joe Carter SERIES winning bat worth a million dollars because it's more important? What about Thompson's or Mazeroski's bats, 2-10-100 million, where does it stop? Just a little rant, sorry bout that!

I think it is totally irresponsible on the part of anyone who complains about prices of items that have been auctioned off (and I am NOT singling Tony out here. There were several "rants" in this thread.) It comes off as pure, unadulterated, sour grapes. Auction prices are what they are, a point in time that reflects what someone is willing to pay, on a given day, set by how much the underbidders were willing to pay.

The fact that we "are all not million/billionaires" and "can't afford to pay astronomical prices," is inane, at best.

Do you complain when a Picasso or a Monet goes for "ridiculous" prices? Doug and his family run a museum, and an incredible one at that. Period. They paid what they had to, in order to keep a collection together.

There is no difference between your "rant" and that of a $25 collector complaining that you won a T206 for $250. You're arguing about the placement of decimal points.

I can't think of one better place I would rather have this collection go, than to Doug and Chad. Even if it had gone to the HOF, it would have ended up in their warehouse most of the time.

Outstanding pick up!

Last edited by Jim VB; 11-15-2010 at 12:06 PM.