View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Can't offer any help Alan.

Though I just learned where Downer Ldg and Melville Gdn was likely located, out by Nantasket... It must have been a beautiful sail and fun harbor park. ".. lovely grounds, bowling, golf, concerts, fireworks, topiaries, clam bakes, dancing. "

Incidentally, That had to have been one l o n g summer day for the far away Worcester folk, especially with the ball game. One dollar was a steal as admission just to the Gardens was 60cents in 1871.

Thanks for posting. Terrific piece of Beantown Harbor history there.

*Samuel Downer, who originally lived one street from us in Dorchester (Downer Ave) held the patent for kerosene and had great interest in the Boston rail industry. His kerosene would need to be transported from the docks to the burbs. A connection to baseball, I can't find -yet.

The site of the Downer Landing in Hingham, Mass (adjacent to Nantasket Bch) is also on a Downer Ave and the site is now the exclusive HYC and multi million dollar homes. Contrasting sharply with my old Downer Ave, graced with triple-deckers, junk cars, chickenwire street hockey nets and stray animals. Sam was lucky to get out!.. For me, this is great trivia feed. Thanks again Alan.

Site of Melville Gardens, Downer Ave. Hingham Mass. Nantasket Bch is in the distant background
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crow point.jpg (62.1 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Ladder7; 10-26-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: discoveries