View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Brian, that is one helluva story.

Good news is that it's impossible for me to have that problem, I'm a kid in college, and I know better than to use my parents credit card for that haha.

However, being a college student, makes my budget obviously small. My card collection is probably worth around 4K or so, but it's all stuff that I don't care so much about anymore. The goal would be to try and sell what I have (it's all modern stuff, for the most part), and put that towards t206 stuff. Eventually, I'll have a job, and then slowly go from there.

If I think of the idea of spending 15k on a set, I will tell myself that it is impossible. However, spending 1K a year (if I can limit myself to that), is doable. I need to really understand that this is a marathon.

A big problem with me is never really knowing what I want. Ultimately I decided to build the 55 Topps set. I have 20 PSA 5/6 cards, and about 100 other commons in mid-grade form (like 30-40 dupes though). I was going to send those in to get graded, and then go for the set in PSA 5/6 form. It's somewhat challenging, but it could be done - all it takes is $$. Recently, I feel like that set won't give me enough satisfaction. However, I am impatient, so it would be much easier to go that route.

I've probably spent at least 15-20 hours browsing these forums since I signed up about a week ago. I'm reading up lots on the t206 set, and the more I look, the more I want to go for it. If I do decide to go for it, I'm getting a big one out of the way first, so that if the monster does succeed or I need the $$, I won't have a problem moving it. (I'm thinking Cobb with bat, gorgeous card).

Keep the opinions coming. Thanks to everyone who contributed thus far,

Zach