View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Ted Zanidakis

tinkereversandme

Regarding your......
"Plus, things changed since the hey-deys of the show. People really like to win stuff, not buy it outright. We have been trained to embrace the
auction."

This is unfortunately true for BB card shows.

There is no doubt about it, the myriad number of BB related Auctions are making a serious dent into the BB card shows. I guess I do not under-
stand why all these auctions are so popular with collectors, since these auctions operate with 10% bidding increments. Hey guys, only need 7
bids to DOUBLE the OPENING BID. And 14 bids will QUADRUPLE the OPENING BID.

Not for me....unless one of these Auction Houses reduces this ridiculous 10% increment policy, I aint bidding. Not to say, how absurd the "juice"
is on top of these exorbitant bidding numbers. What happened to the age old enjoyable practice of bargaining or bartering over BB cards to get
a reasonable deal at a live show ?

So, the shows will continue to suffer (or fail)......while, the realized prices at a given Auction will continue to be out-of-whack, relative to the
accepted value of a given BB card.

Where does it all end ?

Perhaps in time, the same way the Coin and Stamp markets have deterioated to in recent years.

Also,
Here in Pennsylvania, live shows are flourishing. The Home Shows and the Gun Shows are huge. In fact the five baseball card shows at Valley
Forge these past 1 1/2 years have shared the Convention Center with either one of those shows on all 5 occassions. The lines for those two
shows are unbelievably long. While the lines at this BB card show have been mediocre at best.

T-Rex TED

Last edited by tedzan; 10-01-2010 at 07:36 PM.