View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 03:21 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I'll first preface my comments by saying that I have continuously set-up at the Philly Show since 1981. It has been a
great experience; and, especially with respect to all the great people I have become friends with in this hobby. First
and foremost, I'm a collector. I do like to "wheel & deal" vintage cardboard (sports and non-sports) and the 28 years
in Willow Grove, Ft. Washington, and Reading have been tremendous.

The Valley Forge show started off slow 1 1/2 years ago. It was slowly improving in terms of attendance and sales, as
was evident in last March's show. However, the consensus of opinion is that last week's show was very disappointing.
Here are several external factors that I attribute this to (not listed in any order)......

Ebay
Numerous Auctions
Current Economic woes in this country
Baltimore National

The people running this show have to realize that a "hi-priced autograph show" does not necessarily translate into a
good dealer--customer show. Furthermore, we have observed that at least 24 of the Hi-calibre, veteran vintage card
dealers (e.g., Dan McKee, Irv Lerner, Terry Knouse, Roger Neufeldt, Bill McAvoy, Ron Barrett, etc., etc.) are no longer
setting up at this show. The attrition rate of these quality dealers increases with each show. This bodes very poor for
the future success of this show.

It appears to me that major BB card shows will eventually go the way as BB card shops of the 1980's & '90s went. Of
course the National will remain....and then, my suggestion to the National promoters would be to make the National a
semi-annual event. A Spring (April) show permanently in Baltimore. And, a Fall event (Sept) that floats between the
West Coast, Chicago and Cleveland.

Just my thoughts.

Hey Dan McKee......I'll give Chantilly some serious consideration.

TED Z

I have to disagree on a few of Ted's points.

First Ebay isn't new, its been around 10+ years so I don't think it's impact is any different now as it was 2 or 5 years ago. Sure it has an impact but I don't think it varies from year to year.

Second, I think auctions to drain quality material from the sale floor. If you wanted to buy say an E90 or CJ Joe Jackson you would have to buy one in an auction as they are almost never for sale. I think this is the case with any "hot" higher end card.

Third, the Current Economic woes in this country have impacted everything but I have noticed things are better now then a year or six months ago, yet it seems this show was worse then the last.

Forth, Baltimore National, to me it had no impact. Perhaps people can't recover in a few months but perhaps it was more of an issue of the product and the prices rather then the national being close.

IMO there is a few simple things they can do to attract more customers and that is ADVERTISE!!! Plain and simple. They do not do anything locally on the sports radio station. It is said when I hear about the gun show and the home show but not the sports card show.

There were a lot of empty spaces on Friday which is a bad sign, however I did notice a few people that said they would never come back sitting there behind a table.

IMO the table price isn't the biggest problem it is a simple fact that many people come get a signature and leave. Plus the people they bring in to sign are so expensive that it drains a ton of cash out of the room. I think you would be better off with lower priced autographs rather they the hot new thing.

I had talked to both Paul and Sheryl about my concerns in the past but I never saw any change.

Leon- They did call me about doing the show when I didn't sign up so it might be worth another try.

James G