View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 05:05 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

While I agree that the show has gone down hill when compared to years ago, I think Ted has hit a number of the key items that have contributed to that decline. I would also emphasis that those elements he has mentioned have contributed to the decline in all/most shows. With that in mind, I think you need to really consider the show in the context of the current environment. In that context, from a collector's standpoint, I still think the show is pretty good. You will be able to find stuff at this show you may not be able to find at most other shows. But as a collector, I don't think you can go to the show expecting to pay the same prices you would on Ebay. If you do, I think you will be very disappointed. Likewise, I think dealers need to understand that collector's have become accustomed to doing business outside of the show environment and as a result, dealers need to find something that makes attending the show more attractive than sitting at a computer.

With that said, I do have a few questions.

1) Without having ever attended Chantilly, what specific aspects of that show make it superior to the Valley Forge show? How do you think those aspects could be improved at Valley Forge?

2) Recognizing that several prominent dealers have left the Valley Forge show, and that the table costs seem to be a big factor, what would draw these dealers back to the show? Would simply lowering the table fees actually entice those dealers to return?

DJ