View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Default Fred Toney vintage double signed Cincinnati Reds photo

I truly had an awesome pickup today!

Perhaps a few of you recall that a few months ago, on a thread related to baseball tickets, I posted photos of the only known full ticket from 5/2/1917 to the famous "double no-hit" game between Chicago's James Hippo Vaughn and the Cincinnati Reds' Fred Toney. Only an estimated 3,000 fans attended this game at Chicago's Weeghman Park. Many baseball pundits have called this game one of the greatest pitching duels of all time. In this game both Vaughn and Toney successfully pitched 9 innings of no-hit ball. The game ended in the 10th inning when the Red's shortstop Larry Kopf singled off of Vaughn. An error occured, and Vaughn threw home late on Jim Thorpe's swinging bunt allowing the only run of the game. Toney pitched in the bottom of the 10th and didn't allow a base runner, completing a 10 inning no-hitter.

Today I found an outstanding compliment piece. It is a vintage "photo/snapshot" (2 1/2" x 3 1/2") of "Big" Fred Toney that has been signed TWICE (both on the front and on the back!) by Toney in steel tipped fountain pen. Toney's signature alone is insanely tough to find, let alone one that is a vintage signed photo. BTW, Toney's death date was 1953. The name Toney appears at the bottom right corner of this "photo", leading me to believe that it might have been part of a team set of some sort, but I could really use some help from anyone that may be able to let me know of the photos origin.
Thanks in advance for any clues that you can provide!

Needless to say, I am one happy camper!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-23-2010 at 04:38 PM.