View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Hello,

I am NOT an expert in pennants but I do know something about sewing since both my Mother and Grand Mother are proficient at it. I also know a little something about home made art since both my Mother and Step-Father have dabbled in it.

I looked at the 1919 Cincinnati pennant and automatically thought it was fake because of the poor workmanship of the sewing. My Grand Mother was born in 1920 and she has told me many times that people back then HAD to knew how to sew, not because it was something fun just to sit around and do but because it was a NECESSITY. Thus, they had to KNOW what they were doing AND they took pride in their work.

If the story of two women sitting outside a ball park sewing that pennant is true then they weren't very good at sewing and they didn't take pride in their work. Considering it was supposedly made in 1919 and was also supposedly made to be sold, then the story, to me, does NOT add up. Why? Because people back then would have looked at the shoddy workmanship, laughed and said they could do better (which they probably could have).

As far as the lettering and the stars go, they look like they were made by stamps you can buy at an art supply store. Just take an ink pad, wet the stamp on it and then press down on the cloth.

Again, to me, not something that is really that hard to replicate unlike the other 1919 Cincinnati pennant another member has posted.

It would be nice if the pennants were old and real but I wouldn't spend much money on them just because I think they would be too easy to make.

Just my two cents,

David.