View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Richard Simon

Default Does anyone know the real Nicholas Burczyk story?

I am sure the autograph people here are aware of the Nicholas Burczyk COA's which are flooding ebay now. Mostly connected with autographs of Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio, Koufax and original 500 HR items including the Atlantic City show 500 HR litho.
My question to the forum is: does anyone know the true story of Burczyk? The ebay sellers claim that he was retained in the early 1990's by a collector/autograph chaser/company to authenticate autographs. That he was the first forensic authenticator to be retained in such a manner. However, the COA's that are shown in ebay ads do not mention any item. They state: "I have made a review of the Autograph that corresponds with this certificate." No mention of what the autograph is. No COA I have ever seen, even the dubious ones, would write up a COA in that way. They all mention the item and some of them will picture the item.
I am wondering if anyone is familar with Burczyk. The usual COA of his, that is shown with most ebay auctions, lists him as having 11 different offices in Florida. The phone numbers of those offices are listed on the COA.
I called four of the phone numbers. Two of them are disconnected, one is for a maid service and one is for an insurance company.
A few of the ads on ebay show a sticker on the back of the item, with a date from the 1990's and a few scribbled initials along with his name. This sticker corresponds to nothing.
Does anyone here know the real story behind Burczyk? Is this totally a scam? Or was he really examining autographs in the 1990's?
I have tried to locate Mr Burczyk with no success.
--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burczyk-COA.jpg (76.1 KB, 460 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-05-2010 at 07:54 AM.