View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Default More back talk and percentages and type 2 discussion

Finally a chance to rekindle the E220 National Caramel back topic.

Starting off, I have not heard from anyone else in regards to the final four unverified Type 1 backs. The list of unconfirmed subjects remains at:

Carl Mays
Babe Ruth
Earl Smith
Milton Stock (batting)

Would still love to hear from collectors if they have any of these cards with the type 1 back (for reference Jim's earlier post clearly details with photographs the three types of backs found). I would venture to state that it appears the complete E220 set can be found with the Type 1 back.

Now onto some percentages. I tallied up the E220 card pool available to me, and I currently have catalogued 325 cards total. Of these 325 cards, 257 have the Type 1 back. 19 cards have the Type 2 back, and 51 cards have the Type 2 reversed back. So the current approximate percentages are:

Type 1 back: 79.1%
Type 2 back: 5.8%
Type 2 reversed back: 15.7%

Clearly the type 1 back dominates the card population--currently it appears on four of every five cards seen. The Type 2 appears to be the rarest, with the type 2 reversed being seen three times as often as the regular Type 2.

A point worth repeating is that I have yet to see an individual player's card with all three backs, nor have I seen a particular card with both versions of type 2 backs. This leads me to believe that the entire set was printed with the type 1 backs, and that perhaps both type 2 backs were printed on one separate sheet as well.

Now I would like to tally the specific cards that have been seen with each Type 2 back. I have listed below the ones that have been documented so far with each back, and would like to enlist the assistance of fellow collectors regarding any that they might have in their collections. So here goes:

'Regular' Type 2 backs verified (13 currently):

Wilbur Cooper
Wm. Cunningham
Hank Gowdy
Charles Grimm
Sam Harris
Chas. Hollocher
Walter Johnson
Pete Kildulf (leaping)
Geo. Paskert
V.J. Picinich
Raymond Schmandt
Frank Snyder (standing)
George Whitted (batting)

Reversed Type 2 backs verified (25 currently):

James Austin
George Burns (Cleveland)
John Collins
Jimmy Dykes (fielding)
Arthur Fletcher
Frank Frisch
Larry Gardner
J.C. Graney
Heinie Groh
Harry Hooper
Rogers Hornsby
Carl Mays
Lee Meadows
Emil Meusel
Bernie Neis
Eddie Rousch
Babe Ruth
George Sisler
Earl Smith
John Smith
Sherrod Smith
Frank Snyder (crouching)
Zach Wheat
Fred C. Williams
"Pep" Young

Always fun to do a little research, and any help on it would be appreciated too!

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-21-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: update and percentage adjustment