View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
It appears from the article that John Thorn, a SABR member, didn't want to discuss the pistol/shotgun issue. I thought John was a person who always wanted to set the facts straight and did great research. Why didn't he want to discuss this issue with the museum board members of the Ty Cobb Museum ? It also appears that Mike Gutierrez, according to the article, continued to sell fake Cobb autographs, even when it was known they were fake.
Ron Cobb just sent me an email and requested that I post it to the board in response to the quoted query. I provide without edit or further comment.

john thorn

John,

I read today a post to the net54baseball forum about my recent Ty Cobb article that mentions the 2006 email exchange on the shotgun, and questions why you declined to discuss it. I am very concerned that this reflects negatively on your decision not to pursue that email exchange further at that time. It definitely should not reflect negatively on you, and I did not intend my article to do so. I feel strongly that this should be clarified, so I would greatly appreciate your posting this email to the forum for clarification.

I should have made clearer in the article that the email exchange about the shotgun in 2006 was not with me, but with another museum board member, and that I had been forwarded the emails after the fact. That email exchange was begun with an emotional and argumentative email to you, which was perhaps illogical as well, and it lacked the basis on which a fruitful discussion could be pursued. You were certainly justified and correct to decline to discuss the subject further when approached that way.

Fortunately, you were gracious enough to overlook the unpleasantness of that email exchange when I asked earlier this year if you would review my article prior to it's publication. I certainly thank you for your review and for your comments, which were very insightful, and I hope that the posting of this email will clarify this matter completely.

Ron Cobb