View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM

Default depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentel View Post
I recently won an award silver tray and set of 9 glasses(gobbets). Anyway there are a couple of scratches , dings and some permanent tarnish. I was thinking of having it repaired and resilvered but it has some signifigance. Will refurbishing it devalue it or will it make it worth more. I just like things on display cleaned up.
Any advice or help is appreciated.
You're probably looking for a clear cut definitive answer, however restoration is a gray/subjective area. Subjective to you, and subjective to potential buyers....everyone is likely to have a different preference...Some collectors will likely feel strongly one way or the other...

A silver tray and 9 goblets sound sophisticated, but you don't mention who the set was awarded to or even what sport. Are we talking about a bowling league award from Des Moines or Mickey Mantle’s freshman year MVP with the Whiz Kids?...generally the more important the trophy the more cautious you'd want to be restoring it.

Subject to the forgoing...I suppose the short answer would be.... if you were the end buyer and you want to fully enjoy it in your own collection, I'd say go ahead and restore it.