View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 05:50 PM

I have owned rotographs before and holding this one person it is not inferior at all, Just a slightly different photo process. Rotograph postcards were just Horner images made by the Rotograph company. They used HIGHLY reflective silver gelatin photo process and not just on their baseball players (I have owned over 1000 Rotograph actor and actress postcards over the years as well). However, postcards made with that photo process are not common and most real photo postcards were made with the same process as my McGraw. Gelatin photos that were slightly reflective but nearly to the extent of the Rotographs. So comparing this photo postcard to a rotograph is Apples to Oranges but they are both original Horner images on postcards.

As to it being rebacked/reattached, no chance. It would be impossible to do this to a gelatin Real Photo Postcard as the front would disentegrate. If you look at the front of the postcard along the edges and you see a couple of minor white flakes, that is tiny spots of wear where incredibly thin gelatin photo has chipped. This is a photo process that was basically extinct by about 100 years ago.

No doubt whatsoever when holding it in person this postcard is 100% original to pre-1906.

Anyone know the set or seen anyone else like this?