Thread: July Pickups
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Default here's weird

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Picked this up today...this is one of the weirdest things I've ever bought. A new antiques flea market started up today for the first time at Candlestick Park in S.F. and I went to see what it was all about. Wasn't too bad for the inaugural opening...little eclectic...picked up a 1920's/30's galvano stationary/desk set box that advertised Richfield Oil the lid is an old time race car that lifts off...may jam it on eBay....then drove a short ways over to the Alamany flea maybe 5 miles away...I walked up to this one vendor and he had a lot of advertising....nothing real great....but there was this large advertising figure of a Scotchman I guess it was...and it was holding a strange looking head...I pulled it out to look at it and it was the strangest thing....a rubber football with the face of a bandaged up player one one side....looks 1960's at oldest, but very good condition....Wouldn't you know it...I ask how much and the guy says "you picked the one thing in my booth that's not for sale...I just put it there to attract people"....I looked it over and was kind of taken with it...and I jested to the guy.....now you're gonna make me want it more...is this Ronald Regan?...so I looked it over for a half minute and said....hey look, you're gonna sell it eventually anyway....what do you have to have for it?...the guy grimaces and thinks on my logic...then hesitantly goes....$20.00....bingo!!...I was shocked he said $20....For $20.00 it was a no brainer, I thought he'd say $50.00 or something....it's a little smaller than a real football...First one I've ever seen, no makers mark or numbers of any kind!...I wonder what designer conceived it and what company made it...it's out there!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 07-18-2010 at 08:36 PM.