View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't collect new cards but there is more interest today than there has been in quite some time and that can't be bad for our segment.
Leon is correct and i would say modern cards haven't been as popular as they are right now, since the very early 1990's. There are a lot of high rollers in the modern market that is mainly (some very rich) men in their 20's to 50's and "busting" modern wax is a form of gambling for them that directly involves their favorite sport. Like a few mentioned already, having a strong modern market is definitely beneficial for the vintage market as eventually many of these new modern collectors at least will dabble a bit in the pre war market, if not becoming a hardcore vintage collector.

All card collecting is good, whatever it takes to get the youth of the US and Canada collecting any type of cards will eventually be beneficial to all the card markets, Pre-War, Vintage and Modern. I just don't understand why so many of the vintage/pre war guys have such a hatred against modern cards/collectors? You never see Modern collectors bashing vintage or pre war cards/collectors, they have nothing but respect for the history of card collecting. There are a lot of guys who do like pre war and modern as well, many on this very board i bet.

EDIT- Thought id bring to the attention of the board another very high profile modern auction. The Bryce Harper (Nats #1 pick overall this year) Superfractor. This is another modern card that i wouldn't be surprised to see hit $10K+ and get some national media attention. The card was pulled by your "average Joe" collector, which makes it even better if it sells really high, IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Bowman-Chro...#ht_500wt_1063

Last edited by Bilko G; 07-12-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: To add the auction of another very high profile modern card