View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

A lot of pricing still depends on where you are and who is selling/buying. The internat in general and especially Ebay has changed that a lot, but it still works that way.

I sometimes go to shows for other collectibles, and baseball stuff is usually very expensive or very cheap. Same for stamp stuff at a baseball card show.
Normal first day covers of the 1939 stamp are about half price at a stamp show because they're nothing special. The ones for the 1969 stamp are much cheaper than they are from a baseball dealer.

Certain cities and markets will ask for and get silly prices, usually from non collectors.

My favorite example? At a Ct flea market I was looking at a couple rough condition brass steam guages. Nice, but damaged a bit, and common ones like you'd find on a home heating boiler. The price seemed high but the guy standing next to me asked if I could decide quicker because he was waiting to buy them. I hadn't even asked the price yet. When The seller said they were $40 each I handed them to the guy waiting so he could buy them. After he paid I asked him what I'd missed since they seemed like common ones. He said he mounted them on walnut wall plaques, all polished up with new glass, and sold them to a decorator in NYC for around $600 each!

I could see a pawn shop in Vegas getting good money for those pennants from a non collector who hit a jackpot the night before.

Steve B

Fixed spelling, gotta proofread better

Last edited by steve B; 07-06-2010 at 01:02 PM.