Thread: How Ridiculous
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Why doesn't PSA choose to honor a set that is not only a first-rate PSA graded one, but one that is the finest of its kind in the hobby? I'm sure there are dozens of sets that would fit the category.

That's why it seems odd that they would choose to honor a 14 CJ set, when in fact the discovery set graded by SGC a few years ago is arguably the greatest vintage card set ever assembled. It just seems like a curious choice. Of course they can do whatever they want.
Some sets are more equal than others...

None of this is surprising if you understand that these aren't awards as we think of them but are PSA marketing tools. PSA's management figured out some time ago that stroking collector egos and pushing collectors to compete with one another to see whose is 'better' was a great way to generate buzz and promote its business. PSA has a history of not recognizing the existence of non-PSA products [see the T220 silver checklist, which is missing card because (as JO told me when I sent PSA a correction list for some of its boxing checklists) PSA hasn't slabbed one, or the so-called master list for Jack Dempsey, which is missing many cards because PSA won't slab exhibit boxing but will slab exhibit baseball], so the SGC or any other set is irrelevant to their purpose, pushing PSA product. They probably honored the 2nd rate CJ set to give Mr. #1 a kick in the pants and get him competing again.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-04-2010 at 11:49 AM.