View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Scott S

Default O/T: Funny Tommy Lasorda meeting

I needed to share a funny encounter last night with you guys...

I was going to the Red Sox / Dodgers game last night at Fenway; big buzz around the park for Manny's return to town.

I was in a bar right across the street from the park (Boston Beer Works, for those who know the area), and had just stepped out to go over into the game. It was about 6:45, so it was crowded around the area. A cab pulled up right where we were waiting to cross the street, and an older gentleman stepped out. I immediately recognized that it was Tommy Lasorda, and told my group (my wife, and a friend of mine and his wife.) My friend - who was a few beers into the evening - immediately said, "Hi Mr. Lasorda, it's a pleasure to meet you! Can I just shake your hand?"

Tommy was great, turned and said, "Sure young man, what's your name?" My friend said, "I'm Jon, and this is my friend Scott."

Lasorda shook my hand, looked at my wife and said, "And Scott, is this your girlfriend?" I said, "No sir, this is my wife Pam."

In true Lasorda form, he shakes her hand and says, "Pam, where did you meet him, at the Braille Institute? You're WAY too good looking for him!"

And with that, Lasorda walked away, virtually unnoticed, and into the game. We were left laughing for the rest of the game.

CLASSIC Lasorda - I couldn't have enjoyed being insulted more than I was by him! I just wish I had a camera to capture the moment!