View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratesfan1418 View Post
Never seen of these! Any idea how many Pirates were in the set?
Brad: Best as I can tell four of the 25 cards comprised by the PC796 Sepia postcard set show Pirate players. I have one other, the Wagner. It's a dandy. Besides Gibson there is one of Sam Frock, who pitched for Pittsburgh in 1909 and a few innings in 1910 before being traded to Boston (NL) (how he rated a card is a mystery to me; he's in pretty fast company with the likes of Walter Johnson and Nap Lajoie, Matty and Cobb) and there is a card showing Wagner with Ty Cobb.
A couple of useful on-line references that enabled me to research this post are the Old Cardboard magazine website (www.oldcardboard.com) which has pretty thorough player checklists for a lot of vintage issues as well as some card galleries, and Baseball Reference dot com (www.baseball-reference.com) which has encyclopedic detail of major and minor league careers for virtually anybody who ever was paid to play baseball. If you haven't yet consulted either site then check them out. There are dozens of other good baseball websites but these two, for me at least, are indispensable.