View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

If I had a stack of T206s and T213-1's, then I jumbled them up on a table, anyone sitting down to sort them could see the ballplayers on the fronts, the various brands on the backs, and would quickly see that the Coupon cards were printed on paper while the rest were on card stock. To refer to the Coupon material as thin paper stock is fine. But saying thinner is a bit of a stretch. One is on card stock. The other on paper. It isn't that one is thin and the other thinner... at least it isn't to me. One is paper, one is card. Maybe if Coupons hadn't been continued half a dozen years later then Mr. Burdick would have been less likely to sort them separately.

I'm working on a list of the -1 players, their teams, and when they joined. I can already see a problem with Ellam. Roy Ellam was with Birmingham 1909 through 1915; he joined the Nashville Vols in 1916, where he hit .278 in 138 games as he played and was the team's only manager. The "Nashville" designation is on his T206, too. That was a mistake in team designation back in 1910 with the T206s, and with the T213-1's. Someone one day may try to date all of the cards to 1916, and we know (or we should know) that that isn't correct.

I'll finish the list one day and try to get it posted here.