View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Tony Quinn

Default My take

Bonds, McGwire and Clemens will always be disliked now because they stole something from the game and really paid no price.
Rose's gambling was as a manager (not player) and only for his team, never against (supposedly). So although he's a complete jackass personality-wise, people still hold him in high regard for his accomplishments as a player. Jackson will always be looked at with compassion because he was a dope who got "suckered".
Gandil is a popular figure only to those trying to collect all the "8 Men Out" cards. I don't know anyone who collects only Gandil because he was a great player or nice guy.
Those 3 and others paid their debt with banishment from the game and will always be looked at sympethetically. The steroid freaks will be forever despised because they came in, cheated, stole records, made millions of dollars, gave us all the finger and left with no punishment and continue to lie about it.
Guys like Andy Petitte are still well liked because he admitted he was wrong and at least seemed to genuinely want to be forgiven.
Just my opinion.