View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Patrick N.

Default What he had

Your absolutely right about the "knowledge" thing, which is why I didn't plunk down any $....I find the best way to learn about a set is to start building one. I've been builidng a few post-war sets recently and am getting pretty sharp on pegging the right price on cards which is quite exciting to know more than the next guy. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to build a T206 so my knife is pretty dull, although hanging around here has atleast given me a clue albeit a small one on pre-war stuff...

None of them jumped out as high grade or else I would've rolled the dice. However, they weren't hammered either. The backs were pretty clean with no paper loss and nice clean print (They were definately authentic). I remember a T205 Chance T206 Clarke T206 Evers or Chance? and some A.L. NY Pitcher. At one point I told him that I usually pay $10-20/ea. on low grade T206s and he picked out 5 or so that had an issue but weren't thrashed and offered me 5 for $60 but I passed...

I think he sets up every week so I might go back and pay attention more to what exactly he has. Unfortunately I had my own table set up and couldn't dilly dally. I probably opened my mouth a bit too much when I started asking about backs...I mentioned Hindu and he said he used to have some of those.

I also saw a guy that had some Felts/Blankets (?) about 5 of them hand-cut in a display but I didn't recognize names, plus wasn't 100% sure of authenticity. He wanted $100 for all of them. I couldn't believe how many card guys there were on this weekend, it might have something to do with the upcoming RMU show.

Last edited by mintacular; 05-17-2010 at 08:12 AM.