Thread: Goodwin is up
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Scott Levy

Default Wonka...

Is right at least about the ownership of the card. And while I generally tend to remain anonymous about the cards that I own ... given that the card is being questioned, I'm not ashamed to admit that this is ours or that we consider it to at least possibly be a legitimate variation.

Dad and I purchased this card years ago because we happened to compare it against several black examples and saw a difference in ink color.

While I admit the color at first blush appears so dark that it must be black, when compared directly against a black OM back there are notable visual differences.

You and I both know that there are many trimmed Old Mill cards that have much lighter tones of browns --- these have traditionally been the ones we all have seen (and the one that you have pictured). However, I think that it is at least possible that a darker shade of brown (not black) exists with Old Mill. Somewhat similarly, I have personally viewed Brown Lenox cards that significantly vary with the darkness of brown - although admittedly to a lesser degree.

In all, given the uncertainty, my dad has agreed with Bill and with SGC to have a second review determine the card's final fate. If SGC deems it upon further review to be a variation I will stick with that finding. If SGC wants to take it out of circulation ... that will probably be OK too. But it's not as simple a case as it appears.

Regards,
Scott