View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Chris Stufflestreet

(A little self-serving here, but indulge me...)

I am the father of an 11-year old girl. She was by my side as I walked the floor at last year's National. I realized long ago that if I forced collecting on her, it might backfire if she ever lost interest later on, so I limited my hobby stuff to showing her the basics and letting her decide from there. And of course, this lifelong Yankee fan is chagrined to report that his sweet little Pumpkin collects Red Sox cards. But she's enjoying it and that's all I can ask for.

You indicate your son likes to read. Below, my signature line has a link to what I call a "hobby bookshelf." The link has a nice selection of hobby-related books available at Amazon and perhaps something there will be of interest to him. Another posted mentioned Dan Gutman's "& Me" series, and they are all found at the bottom of the page. I'd also recommend "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubblegum Book" by Boyd & Harris because it has a fun cadence set to baseball cards they collected in the 1950s and '60s. It's a good place to start...since I myself began becoming serious about the hobby myself as a result of a couple of books I read around the age of 10, one about cards and another about Hall of Fame players that began my interest in the game's rich history.