View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

Default 1947 Van Patrick Indians postcards

I've collected this set for more than 10 years, and before today it had been at least three years since I added a new one to my collection. For those unfamiliar with the issue, these postcards were the first of the post World War II team issues. They're referred to as "Van Patricks" because the cards apparently were sent to fans who mailed a request to Indians broadcaster Van Patrick (see scans below).

Anyway, because I was able to pick up a small group of these today, I dug out the group I previously had and took a closer look. Here's what dawned on me: Of the 35 or so that I have, only three are postally used. Because it's always been accepted that these were only mailed to fans -- as opposed to being available for sale at the ballpark -- I would think the ratio of unused to used would be less than 12-1. Granted, my collection is a small sample size, but over the years I'd say at least 90 percent of these that I've seen (which haven't been many) have been postally unused. I glanced through the roughly 200 other Indians PCs I have from 1948-56, and the ratio of postally unused to used is closer to 5-2.

I suppose the Van Patricks could have been mailed to fans in envelopes, and maybe that's the simple answer. But the fact that there are ones that are postally used makes me wonder. (Because of the design of the backs of the cards, you'd assume that a fan wouldn't mail the card after receiving it, because there's no place to write a message.)

I don't know whether anyone on the board collects these, but I'd be interested in hearing any opinions.

Thanks, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vanfeller.jpg (34.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg sampleback.jpg (34.1 KB, 165 views)