View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM

Whoops I meant write "That he started playing with the Bloomer Girls in KC is UNlikely." My reason for thinking this is that the owner of the Bloomer Girls club for which he played was, according to the "well-researched SABR biography," Logan Galbreath (not "Galbraith"), pictured in the postcard! He owned/managed the Boston Bloomer Girls baseball team from 1905-1925 and toured the midwest, southwest, and California. Babe Pinelli and Rogers Hornsby are among the future major leaguers to play with the Boston National Bloomer Girls Base Ball Club, who appear to have been confused in recent books with a perhaps nonexistent entity called the "National Bloomer Girls Base Ball Club."

I believe this error has been propagated on the net and in other scholarly titles beyond Robert Elias's 2006 book, which I believe is the first to make the claim. To prove me wrong--which would be perfectly fine with me--find a contemporaneous source (even pre-1960 would be OK) stating, as Elias does, without sourcing, that Wood started with a Bloomer Girls club based in Kansas City, Kansas.

john thorn