Thread: Drum or Uzit?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Scott Levy

I really am not sure which back is tougher - Drum is tougher based solely on my personal collecting experience. Over the decades my dad and I have owned several thousand T206s and have seen tens of thousands. And if you made me choose one answer, I'd say that Drum is tougher.

I have purchased lots of cards in the past that have had one or more Uzit cards in them, but I've had to specifically seek out a Drum anytime I wanted to own one.

In the same breath, Drums seem to come in mega-finds of 40 or more cards in one shot. I can think of at least two very recent events like this -- I can also think of one event albeit awhile back like that for Uzit.

I don't think that you can draw an accurate conclusion of a back's rarity based simply on the total number being offered in a small string of auctions. If that was true than Carolina Brights would be about as rare as Uzit because not many have been auctioned recently (we clearly know that this is not the case). To use a fancy term, it is not a statistically significant sample size.

It is additionally difficult to assess rarity based on recent sales because rare backs tend to be hoarded. I know of at least 4 advanced collectors that have many copies of every rare back (except for BL460 and Cobb). Some of these collections would make your head spin if you ever saw them in person.