View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Joe P.

Default The Battle of Bull Run, or as the Rebs would call it, Manassas

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Joe
Thanks for the write ups. They are appreciated by all of us who couldn't attend. It's great to know that shows are alive and kicking. I will have to trade a Philly show for Chantilly show, with my partner, so I can get a look at this one. take care

Leon, you've gotta get your ugly puss with beatty eyes over to the area of the Battle of Bull Run.

That battle was fought on the 21 July 1861, I remember it like if it were yesterday ... and as it turned out, the battle didn't have to be.

It was the first real encounter after Fort Sumter ... It was all new to them ... Everyone on both sides were greenhorns.
It was a novelty, even for the non combatants.

On the day of the occasion, some men and women dressed in their best fineries, and trotted out in their carriages to have a picnic at the event.

The Rebels had other plans ... the picnic turned into a rout, and everyone headed for the hills.

.......... A Rebel diary was recently found ..........

In it they found a Confederate plan to march towards a place near Centerville, Virginia. ... But it was not a war plan.

They were headin towards a place called CHANTILLY.

Somethin about an autograph show for some guys that played for The 1845 Knickerbockers. ..... Now that's what I call fans ..........