View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Default Reputable buyers of entire collections

So I may be getting to that point where it's time to part with my beloved collection of vintage cards and memorabilia that I've spent the last 25 years of my life putting together. It's grown to the point where I'm starting to worry about the liability and/or potential losses of keeping it.

I've always had this idea that, when it came time to sell, possibly it could be sold in its entirety to a fellow collector who would not only be willing to pay a fair market value for the collection, but also love the cards/sets, etc. and care for them as I have. I know this is likely nothing more than some far-out fantasy, and most people interested in large, high-end accumulations would be after it to break it down and make some bucks.

Dealers in general usually leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth due to their laughably low buy prices and lame tactics of attempting to tell you what's wrong with your cards (i.e. "you see this one has 80/20 centering") in an effort to drive down the price even further. It's always amusing to me to start talking to a card show dealer like you have no clue about the hobby and then listen to the BS that comes next to try to steal your stuff from you.

I realize most folks (including myself) on here sell some, or a lot, on the side as a way to feed their own collecting habits, but their primary motivation isn't money. So I'm wondering if there are any names/recommendations of folks that fit this description -- or at least will always be above board in their dealings with you. A few that I've considered are Kit Young and the Baseball Card Exchange, but they're not really collectors either.

Anyone had any positive experiences with dealers/deep-pocketed buyers they'd like to share, or dealers/buyers that absolutely should be avoided?

I've done a lot of trolling on these boards over the last six months, and I've really come to respect the opinions on here.
Many thanks,
Rob