View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I think Rich V. brought up a good point,in post #5, about the comic book being slabbed.I know nothing about comic book slabbing,but he made a good point-with a slabbed card,you can still see everything about the card.With the comic,you see the front and back cover,so essentially you are putting 100% faith in the slabbers reputation-you have NO WAY to really know if any of the pages inside have been restored,altered,etc.

Don't get me wrong-I understand the reason for slabbing it-but unless you were the one who submitted it for grading,you would have to wonder about this,wouldn't you?

And we all know that no TPG is flawless............
Interesting point. I always thought it was a bit weird to have a book slabbed in that you couldn't see the interior pages, but only thought about the lack of being able to read it and hadn't considered the TPG portion of it. With our beloved baseball cards, we often judge and opine as to whether something is accurately graded and sometimes even have "guess the grade" threads. With comics, you truly can't do much judging of the interior pages - except possibly count the number of pages from the edge (not sure how possible that even is). I wonder how stringently the interior pages are graded. For example, we know that SGC is tough on paper loss on the cards. I wonder how printing dots or registration issues (for example) may affect the grading if it were only present on the interior pages. Once it is slabbed, you may not even know the reason for the downgrade. A pristine front and back cover and binding could potentially deserve a much lower grade based on interior pages and you'd never know it unless it were specifically delineated or cracked out of its slab.

All that to say this... I think it may be tougher to "buy the comic not the slab" in that world due to this issue. Perhaps I am wrong though and will be enlightened.