View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM

I am from Maine have a little experience with Real life Antique "Pickers". They are generally looked at as the scum of the Earth who show up 2 hours early to Yard Sales and rummage through peoples stuff often without permission or tact. The two guys on the show are better than any I have met but they still come across as just incredibly annoying as they impose themselves on other people and then act all put out if they cant buy your stuff for 1/10 its value. The tall skinny guy is much nicer than the short fat one, but pickers in general are just a small step up from Carneys. What I dont get is why they dont buy more. They must spend a FORTUNE on gas in that huge van while driving around for days before they buy something. I bet their big scores barely pay for their gas bill.

As for Pawn Stars, I like the show. I get the impression that Rick is a pretty fair guy who often pays well for the stuff he wants. In many ways that show is a breath of fresh air because they allow the sellers to stand right there and hear the expert appraisals before the negotiations begin.

Best quote ever was when he said something like "A Pawn Shop owner who trusts his customers is out of business REAL quick".

Rhys Yeakley