View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default this is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Brian- true, and has been pointed out elsewhere on the thread, every designation for every card set was assigned decades after the cards were issued. There were no T206's in 1910.

And I would bet if somebody picked up a T213 Cobb at the time of issue, and already had the same pose with a Piedmont back, they would have deemed it a duplicate. I'm certain nobody distinguished the card at the time of issue the way we do today. A red Cobb was a red Cobb, and all the back told you was it was found in a different brand of cigarettes.
When speaking with several old time collectors they have always collected the fronts. Hence, E92 were all the same, whether it was a Nadja, Dockman, Croft's Candy or Croft's Cocoa......all the same . So, it is with little doubt they did the same thing with white bordered cards. Quite a few of the letters/numbers we go by today weren't even ACC numbers at all. Groups such N (these were not letteredas 19th century in the ACC), E123, T215 Pirate etc.....were not in the ACC. They came from other places. At the same time, just as we don't change the English Alphabet or certain spellings because they don't hold to a conformity, I have never been in favor of changing the ACC. Just a personal preference that isn't too popular with this board. (but it's still not changing )