Thread: Sniping
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
As for a snipe counter for buyers or sellers, I would consider that information privileged and no one but the sniper should know that a snipe has been scheduled. Other bidders have no need to know, nor do sellers. Sellers being happy to know that there will be more bids is not a need, plus I do believe that it creates an added incentive to those tempted to shill, knowing that there are more bids scheduled.
Tim - thanks for the feedback. Our thinking is as follows - with the integration of sniping, there is an increased likelihood people will use it, which is going to make sellers nervous when they see their item isn't being bid up as much. Because of that we felt it important to indicate to the seller that snipe bids have been scheduled so they know there are indeed more bids expected on their item. Obviously we thought about shilling implications, but since the seller can't see the snipe bid amount, he doesn't know if the snipe is anything more then the next bid increment, so he can't really use the information to shill. Furthermore, a user can cancel his snipe bid anytime.

Last edited by Matt; 01-27-2010 at 06:21 AM.