View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Just a personal preferance, Carlton...

Since we seem to agree on 99% of everything else, it's ok not to see eye to eye on this one. And for the record, you have many pieces in your collection that I admire/envy as much as anything I've ever set eyes on. I just view these sloppy cuts as something done by a random worker (after the fact), and not something intrinsic or original to the sign itself.

I personally think it would look better cleaned up a bit, but that's obviously AntiqueTiger's call in the end. I respect your position on it, as I normally prefer everything in its unrestored state (from Stadium Seats to Bobbing Heads). Normally, I'm as "anti-restoration" as they come, and don't ever condone it unless a given piece is otherwise falling apart.

I just feel like this thing was already altered the second it was cut from the fence, so what's the harm in doing a better job of it? To your point, if the restoration work had any chance of chipping it or exposing bare wood, I would refrain. The restorer (AntiqueTiger) should be 100% sure he can do it in clean fashion before attempting any work on it.
Oh sure...you say you're an "anti-restorationist" but it's pretty evident you're a southern sympathizer