View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Well, let's see: the card which had an incredible amount of damage to it had a price tag on it for $950. When I laughed at the price -- yes, I laughed -- I was told that the price was actually $450. When I indicated that the card was ridiculously overpriced, I was told that the reason the card was priced so high was that it was "Cobb's rookie card" -- which of course it wasn't. When I ticked off a list of cards that were actually closer to being Cobb's rookie card than that, I was met with a shrug and told that the price was $250. At that point I walked away, not unhappy, just amused at the ridiculousness of what I had just seen. For what it's worth, I have been offered that same card, in better shape, for $150 from someone on this board.

I understand that it was my fault, Toby, for not being a better sport about the blatant attempt to rip me off. And I apologize for not responding to such attempt by asking to see more of the cards of the seller. At that point, unfortunately, I felt pretty strongly that I was dealing with some dishonest guys and I felt it probably made better sense to walk away.