View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

There was a fabulous Mastro Auction many years ago that featured a miraculous find of 10 oversized Pennants from the early teens (probably 1913 to be exact). That section of the auction was titled "Mini Find of Maxi Felt". All 10 of the pennants remained NRMT or better (and all 10 were oversized).

7 of the 10 pennants featured a Manager's image on the left, with the other 3 (White Sox, Red Sox, Cubs) having a Team Mascot. Of the 7 Manager Pennants, the Cardinals and Phillies were BOTH included. The Cardinals was an incredible "Salt & Pepper" Red Felt with Miller Huggins depicted as the Manager. The Phillies was Navy Blue with Red Dooin as the Manager. They all sold for over $4,000 (with the Giants/McGraw Pennant going over $12K).

I have no isea where these unique pennants ended up, but I bet the majority went to a single collector (in the minute chance you are reading this, please post!) None of these have ever resurfaced in other auctions, and it has been well over a decade now...

As for the Phillies, there is another oversized version out there. It is also Navy Blue, with a giant blooming flower as the logo. It was featured in Mastro over a decade ago, and again in Huggins & Scott less than 2 years ago. I was under-bidder, and do not know who got it.

To your point, Greg, I have never seen a Browns or another Cardinals oversized version (aside from that amazing Miller Huggins version described above). Hope this info is helpful...

ps. If anyone reading this has access to that Mastro Catalogue with the "Mini Find of Maxi Felt" please snap a photo of that page and post it here. I want to say that Catalogue is from 1996 or so (give or take a couple years). Apparently, that auction was too early to make it into Legendary's archives. Thanks!

Last edited by perezfan; 01-04-2010 at 09:20 AM.