View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 03:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Greg...

GREAT stuff! I remember now, that we corresponded many months ago. It was about the oversized Cubs pennant and other things... right?

Thanks for posting the great set with the mascot on the left and the player vignette in the middle. That is one of my favorites too. I have found the St. Louis Browns to be the toughest, followed by the Boston Braves. I finally nailed down the Brownie a few years ago, but have been outbid on the Brave 3 times. It always goes for around $275 - $300.

There was a set of pins recently posted here on Net54 with the same exact mascots as in this set of pennants. It was interesting to see, as these particular unusual mascots have not been seen anywhere else. I traced this interesting pennant set to 1951, as a seller had a few of these- most of which were dated on the backs.

I share your interest in the Reds pennant (and great Avatar, btw!) That Mascot is vastly different than any other the Reds have ever had. Definitely more ominous than the friendly Mr. Red Baseball Head Guy. I have seen perhaps 5 of these in 20 years of collecting (Pennants + Reds stuff), and a few times it has been referred to as the "Mad Bomber" Pennant. I guess that's as good a name as any for it...

Thanks again for the terrific posts!

Last edited by perezfan; 01-01-2010 at 03:11 PM.