View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Frank Wakefield

The Louisville Slugger Museum contacted me once about displaying cards. I took a bunch of stuff up there, and they displayed a bunch of it. Another fellow had some really nice T206s displayed. They took good care of it, kept a guard near. It was shortly after DiMaggio died. They used my 39 Playball on their site as they promoted the display.

They were super nice to deal with. When it was over and I retrieved my cards, they gave me a bat. They'd lifted my signature from a letter I'd sent, and customized a bat for me, signature with name printed, powerized pro model.

I don't think they want a full time display...

And I had some cards and stuff loaned to the St. Louis Baseball Hall of Fame. They still have some stuff on loan, although I think they've returned the cards. Ernie Orsatti's bat, Pepper Martin's 1934 contract, and some more stuff is still there. They are super nice folks, and have security and preservation in mind.

Maybe the place for a museum would be Washington DC... not as far as NYC for most folks, less expensive, would keep with the 'National' or 'American' theme... Cooperstown seems obvious, but there's insufficient traffic, I think. It might survive in DC.