View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Default What Are These Called?

OK, I give up. I've been able to track down and research just about everything so far, but these things are proving elusive. Most are about 11"x13" or larger and they all have W. D. SCHMIDT & COMPANY on them. My scanner isn't big enough to scan the whole card, but they have a loop thread (for lack of a better description) at the top for wall hanging. After an exhaustive google search and entering" W. D. SCHMIDT & COMPANY baseball 1909", I found a reference to W. D. SCHMIDT - Walsh 18"x11" on Leon's site, but couldn't find a picture.
I've got a Walsh in this format too, but not at 18"

I've worn out my google button Any help?? Are they collectible? Do they have a category or are they just an advertisement?

Btw, that doesn't look like "Home Plate" to me. I guess tailors shouldn't be captioning baseball pictures. It looks like a catchers mitt though, so maybe a play at first. I actually thought it was third base at first, but that looks like the infield, in the background, upon closer examination. And who's that guy in the background, an ump? Maybe a grounds keeper on picture day? I don't see any fans in the stands or anybody else for that matter, so it seems staged. Must be, no shin guards. Ok, I'm rambling at this point
Any help is appreciated

Last edited by Tsaiko; 09-03-2010 at 08:48 PM.