View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Rich Klein

Default Frank Barning; editor of BHN asked me to post this

Max was a prince of a guy, loved our game, adored his collection and family and was a fine friend to many. Others have captured him in their posts here.

In 1979, Max was the very first subscriber to Baseball Hobby News and we still have his canceled check. Soon after he became a columnist and he penned some of the greatest stories we ever had the privilege to publish.

There was a rule in the Baseball Hobby News office, and remember this was before email. The person opening our mail was directed to bring any envelope from Max directly to my office. No matter how busy I was, I shut my door and immediately read what he had written. His tales were always beautifully written, requiring virtually no editing. Max was a brilliant story teller, the rare hobby writer who totally captured the essence of baseball and card collecting, and often with a well-developed sense of humor.

His BHN subscription label included his name, address and the notation, No. 1. To Vivian and Frank Barning Max Silberman will always be No. 1.

Frank Barning
Las Vegas, NV
fbarning@gmail.com

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-23-2009 at 11:16 AM.