Thread: Toughest T206's
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Ron

Default Tough ones?

T206 Collector makes a valid point about my overly simplistic list as it ignores the fact that cards which are perceived as being more valuable or raritys/Hall of Famers are more likely to be submitted for grading than the less famous guys. I was really trying to determine availability within the 4-5 range more than anything. A more dramatic example is that the red Cobb portrait is easily the most graded card in the set so I'm not really too worried about finding a card like this (that is on the back end of the list) when it comes time for me to pick one up...I'm pretty sure that one will be available. On the other hand, Jake Thielman currently ranks #32 on my list in terms of availability within the 4-5 range. I'm sure that there are plenty more ungraded Thielmans out there that would qualify, but for the time being, it just isn't as available as a lot of other cards in the set, in the condition that I'm looking for. No question that the Cobb is going to cost a lot more, but Thielman is probably going to be tougher for me to find. The Karger and Lundgren, Chicago cards also show up pretty high on my list. So when I'm shopping, if I come across the opportunity to pick up a Thielman, Karger, or Lundgren vs another relatively unknown player who is ranked back in the #300 range....well, it's an easy decision as to which one to get now. I do believe that the Smith, Chicago & Boston, the Elberfeld, Washington, and the Kleinow, Boston cards are pretty overrated. The population numbers on those cards seem pretty ordinary and I see them up on EBay pretty regularly. None of these three have the Hall of Famer factor and given their population numbers, I just can't get real excited about paying a premium for these three...it's hard to justify.

Again, please let me stress that Scot's research is much more complete than mine. My conclusions are just based on one small slice of the overall pie. The research that both Scot and Ted Z. have done regarding this set is amazing...thanks a ton to both of you guys.

Last edited by rfurnish; 12-15-2009 at 08:37 AM.