View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default great question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
As collectors, we all know that the terms "rare' and "scarce" are often used too frequently in this hobby.

For me the truely "tough" cards are the ones that are believed to exist, however, I have yet to see them in 20 years of collecting. I'm willing to bet that many others on the board have their own "white whales" that they are chasing.

I thought starting a thread that lists our "white whales" might prove to be an entertaining thread, and hopefully, with a little bit of luck, maybe other board members can provide visual confirmation that these cards truely do exist.

Over the last few months, I have been fortunate enough to purchase three HRK catcher cards that I had never even seen before: Agnew, Price, and Tiedeman. My "white whales" are several Home Run Kisses that I have still yet to see, namely, August Fisher and Ralph Kreitz.

If anyone has a scan or image of these cards, I would love to see them! You can post a scan or email me privately at vintagecatcher@myfairpoint.net.

What are your white whales?
Patrick
Great question, Patrick. Only yesterday, and several times recently I have thought about when "rare" cards become not as rare anymore. The recent onlslaught of T208 Cullivans Fireside cards come to mind. Before this grouping, and the one coming in REA, I think I had seen a total of about 3-4 for sale in almost 15yrs of collecting. And 1 of those was sold twice. Now it seems as they are not as rare as I think they still are. For me it's not a particular card from a set but, as a type collector, "any" card from a few sets. A D355 Niagara Baking comes to mind too. I have seen exactly 1 for sale and didn't get it when I should have. Egan lists several in his guide so I feel very confident more will come out, but who knows when? D351 Grennan Bakery cards also come to mind. I know Dan M has a few but besides those I haven't seen any. Too bad Lew sold most of his collection as I know that is where some of those came from. I am sure I am forgetting a few and will come back when I think of them. I too feel the term "rare" is a much overused word in our hobby. I have nothing against the new, shiny collectors but when there is a manufactured 1 of 1 card, it sort of makes me chuckle. "Manufactured rarity" is a term that comes to mind on those. Again, nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea. regards